In partnership with CBSSports.com
The place to talk about the Florida State Seminoles
The place to discuss general topics outside of Florida State
You have no favorite boards.
The No. 33 Florida State men's tennis team (7-1) lost its first match of the season in a tight match against No. 7 Pepperdine (4-0) in the second round of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend. The Seminoles were able to sweep the doubles point at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center, but were only able to get one singles win.
"We had some good things today," said head coach Dwayne Hultquist. "We have a good team but Pepperdine was better today. I thought we played very good in the first two hours, we had some chances in the first sets but weren't able to capitalize on it. It hurt us when Andres and Cristian lost the first set. If we had won them, things could have been different."
In doubles play, No. 27 senior Andres Bucaro and sophomore Benjamin Lock got a quick 8-4 win over Finn Tearney and Francis Alcantara on court one. On court two, seniors Jordan Kelly-Houston and Anderson Reed clinched the doubles point against Alex Sarkissian and Sebastian Fanselow 8-5.
In singles play, the Seminoles started strong winning two first sets, but momentum started to swing to the Waves as they proceeded to win the rest of the first sets. No. 107 sophomore Dominic Cotrone won the first set against No. 6 Sebastian Fanselow but lost the next two sets to fall 2-6, 6-2, 6-3 on court one.
Reed won the lone singles match of the day with a 6-3, 1-6, 5-0 ret. over Mousheg Hovhanniasyan on court five.
"Anderson won a good match over a strong player," continued Hultquist. "I was proud of Dominic today, he lost in the third but played a great first set."
Florida State returns to Tallahassee for doubleheader matches against FAU and Mercer on Feb. 2. For more information, check back to Seminoles.com. You can also follow the team at Twitter.com/FSU_MTennis.
Tennis Match Results
#7 Pepperdine 5, #33 Florida State 2
1. #6 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. #107 Dominic Cotrone (FS) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. Jordan Kelly-Houston (FS) 6-1, 6-0
3. Finn Tearney (PEP) def. #99 Benjamin Lock (FS) 6-2, 6-2
4. Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. C. Gonzalez Mendez (FS) 6-4, 6-3
5. Anderson Reed (FS) def. Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) 6-3, 1-6, 5-0, retired
6. David Sofaer (PEP) def. Andres Bucaro (FS) 7-6 (7-1), 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 3, 4, 6, 5, 1
1. #27 Andres Bucaro/Benjamin Lock (FS) def. Finn Tearney/Francis Alcantara (PEP) 8-4
2. Jordan Kelly-Houston/Anderson Reed (FS) def. Alex Sarkissian/Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) 8-5
3. Mousheg Hovhannisyan/David Sofaer (PEP) vs. Dominic Cotrone/Michael Rinaldi (FS) 6-7, unfinished
Order of finish: 1, 2
Chris Nee of 247Sports.com. You can follow me on twitter @CNee247.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports