In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 800
Online now 853 Record: 5859 (2/14/2012)
The place to talk about the Florida State Seminoles
The place to discuss general topics outside of Florida State
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
The way our offensive line was blocking, you could have taken any NFL QB in the league... and no QB short of Vick/RG3/Rodgers could have won that game.
The only two things EJ does better than Trickett is run faster and take hits better... and the 2nd one is being eliminated through weight gain.
Running faster is irrelevant at QB, unless you are an athletic god (Vick) or have an extremely high IQ (like RG3)... EJ is neither...
This post was edited by FsuFanForever 18 months ago
That is a much tougher question than people are making it out to be. I love Trickett's arm, his pocket presence, his fearlessness. It could be him next year taking the snaps. However, Coker is so physically imposing: big, fast, cannon of an arm. We don't really know how he is under pressure yet, though. The one with the highest ceiling of all, the one with the charisma and leadership qualities seems to be Winston. He is an uber-talent and a really smart kid. I wouldn't be surprised if he already knows the playbook. I think he imposes his will on Jimbo and somehow wins the job.
"I never knew I had a foot until I noticed it was on your neck"
Agree with you on this Scott. I really can't wait to see what Trickett can do. I think it will open up the vertical passing game, and has the potential of making this a scary good offense.
At the same time, the difference in mobility and athleticism could be a huge issue if the Oline doesn't mature.
Should be interesting.
On this we agree.
Folks say EJ is so athletic but what plays has he made in his career that were just "OH man" type plays? He has avoided a few rushes really well but when he scrambles and then runs it usually looks like a big, pretty decent athlete rolling downfield for gimme yardage.
He's a 10th the runner Cam Newton is and 1/2 VY.
Coker was state basketball player of the year in 1A and looks like a freaking jet in some of his HS clips. He's at least as athletic as EJ.
If Clint Trickett is 190lbs I dont think anyone is able to beat him out.
I have seen them in practice. I have seen Winston and Coker in high school. I have listened to some of the players. They all have talent, could probably start for a lot of schools. I know Maguire gets the least amount of comments, but he throws extremely well, works very hard, learning the playbook. Clint knows the playbook possibly better than Jimbo, is very competitive and tough. Coker is a physical, hard nosed, talented guy, has learned the playbook. Winston is very talented, I was told he is picking up the playbook well. I personally don't think anyone will have the job, even after spring practice. Spring practice is going to be very intense for all of them. Jimbo never lets up. The guy that wins the starting job is going to have to win it everyday, even during the season.
I doubt that is something Jimbo wants to get involved in. I'm sure it is going to be very competitive this spring, but I doubt very seriously we get to summer practices without a starter named, summer is a time the team has to start getting its rhythm, since this is not the NFL with "scrimmage" games before the season starts.
"A Seminole warrior killed in battle is a legend remembered. A Gator lost in battle becomes a pair of boots and a belt. "
I dont find fault in your logic, solid post, I do disagree. I'd be shocked if there's a starter named after spring. Jimbo will want whoever the leader is to be the guy who puts the most hours in the summer and shows up for fall with an edge on the others still.
29 practices in the fall. Practice 11 will be when Jimbo goes with one guy and the other two guys battle for second IMO.
I've seen it mentioned by others and I have to agree ... Jimbo is very conservative. Understanding that and knowing that CT is the clear #2 right now the most logical guess for starting qb next year has to be Trickett.
Could Winston or Coker be the starter? Of course, but I'd say the likelihood of either one being the starter is 25% with CT's chances being 75%. Now if he gets injured and one of the other guys lights it up this spring all bets are off. It'll be called a competition but Winston or Coker will have to perform significantly better than Clint to overtake him.
if it's not practice 11 im gonna be pissed because you have given me an exact timeframe
Lol you know what I'm saying!
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports