In partnership with CBSSports.com
The place to talk about the Florida State Seminoles
The place to discuss general topics outside of Florida State
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
As far as returning starters/experience go we will have a lot to replace, but we will have a lot of a talent to work with. Here is what I am thinking as far as depth goes....
* - designates a returning starter
QB: Clint Trickett (rsJR) - Jacob Coker (rsSO) - Jameis Winston (rsFR) **This position is a debate of its own.**
*RB: Devonta Freeman (JR) or James Wilder Jr. (JR) **split the carries** - Mario Pender (rsFR)
HB: Chad Abram (rsSR) - (potential for Hicks or Tye to move here?)
WR: Kelvin Benjamin (rsSO) - Willie Haulstead (rsSR)
*WR: Rashad Greene (JR) - Greg Dent (SR)
*Slot: Kenny Shaw (SR) - Scooter Haggins (SR) - Christian Green (rsJR)
*TE: Nick O'Leary (JR) - Kevin Haplea (rsJR) - Christo Kourtzidis (SO)
*LT: Cameron Erving (rsJR) - Bobby Hart (JR)
*LG: Josue Matias (JR) - Ruben Carter (rsSO)
*C: Bryan Stork (rsSR) - Austin Barron (JR)
*RG: Tre Jackson (JR) - Sterling Lovelady (JR)
*RT: Menelik Watson (SR) - Bobby Hart (JR)
- Offensively, the entire OL is back and all the WR's and TE's are back other than Rodney Smith. The only question marks are QB and HB. Honestly, EJ has been so inconsistent at QB that I am not overly concerned at QB. I am not saying that Trickett or Coker or whoever is better than EJ, but the consistency of that player can't be any worse than EJ. The offense should be a relative strength seeing as 90% of the contributing players are back.
WDE: Giorgio Newberry (rsSO) or Chris Casher (rsFR) - (JUCO?)
DT: Demonte McAllister (rsSR) - Jacobbi McDaniel (rsSR) - Eddie Goldman (SO)
NG: Tim Jernigan (JR) - Nile Lawrence-Stample (rsSO)
SDE: Mario Edwards Jr. (SO) - (JUCO?)
*WLB: Christian Jones (SR) - Reggie Northrup (SO)
*MLB: Telvin Smith (SR) - Ukeme Eligwe (rsFR) or E.J. Levenberry (FR)
SLB: Terrance Smith (rsJR) - Nigel Terrell (rsJR) - (Karlos?)
*FCB: Nick Waisome (JR) - P.J. Williams (SO)
BCB: Tyler Hunter (JR) - Keelin Smith (rsSO)
NCB: Ronald Darby (SO) - (Karlos?)
*FS: Terrance Brooks (SR) - Karlos Williams (JR)
*SS: Lamarcus Joyner (SR) - Karlos Williams (JR)
- On the back end, we only lose 1 contributor (Xavier Rhodes), so that group should only get better. C. Jones and T. Smith are both very good at LB. I know SLB looks a little light, but lets face it, we line up in Nickel more than we do with 3 LB's any way. I think in the back 7 that Karlos is the wildcard. He can play so many different places. The front 4 loses a ton of talent, but the DT's should still be really good. McAllister and Jernigan were are two best playmakers at DT this year, now they will be starters. Jacobbi is back from a redshirt and I think NLS and Goldman will really step up. The real issue is at DE. Mario Edwards Jr. will be a star, but we need 1 more guy to step up. We will need a JUCO DE that can play at a high level right away. I think our new DC needs to be more willing to blitz than Stoops, simply because I don't think we can get consistent pressure with the lack of experience at DE.
K: Roberto Aguayo (rsFR)
P: Cason Beatty (SO)
KR: Lamarcus Joyner (SR) and Karlos Williams (JR) - Marvin Bracy (rsFR)
PR: Kenny Shaw (SR) - (not sure who else after him)
- Shaw was much better than anything else we had seen as a PR. Joyner and Karlos are both very dangerous. Beatty should improve a ton and our coverage teams are really good. Obviously Aguayo is a complete wildcard, but ST should be solid.
The things to keep an eye on...
- QB battle, the most important position on the field.
- Replacing Pryor. He's a badass, going to be almost impossible find anyone as good as him.
- Where do we get a pass rush from? We really need a JUCO DE that can play.
- How do we incorporate Karlos?
Reasons to be excited...
- Lots of DB's to play all over; Waisome, Darby, Brooks, Joyner, Hunter, Karlos...
- The entire OL is back! Probably the strength of our roster next season.
- Tons of DT depth, we have young guys with a lot to prove there.
- Special Teams should still be a strength (albeit, it failed us this season multiple times).
- The QB will have a supporting cast to work with, whoever the QB is.
"Some people think football is a matter of life and death, I assure you, it is much more serious than that."
I fully expect Dan Hicks to be in the 2 deep at one of the DE positions.
We are going to miss Lonnie Pryor so so much
Kenny Powers: "A true champion will do whatever it takes to rise above. Because surrender is death, and death is for pussies."
Listen Lonnie was/is a great player. But the offense does not require a FB, we simply play one because Lonnie is so good. We will probably go more 2 back sets next year with Wilder and Freeman.
Good stuff Crozea, thanks for the extra effort. I also have been thinking a lot about next year, and believe we will be almost as good on D, and perhaps quite a bit better on O. Can't wait. It's going to be quite a trip, tougher sked, new coaches, new QB, gonna be an interesting and fun journey.
I actually think we improve at CB. While Darby may not have the physical pressence of Rhodes, watching both all season, he is already as good as Rhodes, he just needs reps. I also thought Karlos showed a lot of promise at LB anyway, if we land Ellis Johnson as our DC, he would make the perfect "Spur" defender. With Darby and Karlos on the field, I expect a lot more turnovers via INT. I look for Northrup to see a lot of action next season as well. We have depth issues right now at DE, but I'm sure we can expect a JUCO DE to at least provide depth, and we don't know what names may pop up when we name a new DC. If pressed, I think McAllister and/or Mitchell could easily jump outside, plus, I think Hicks moves back to that position.
Offensively, with the line being together for another offseason, that's exciting. The RB situation will be better with Pender and Green, and if Collins is on board, it's loaded. WR, we are as deep as anyone. QB will be the exciting thing this spring though. I've backed EJ his entire career, and don't think he has been as bad as a lot on here portray, but I don't see much drop off, if any, when the change to any of the 3 backups happens.
"A Seminole warrior killed in battle is a legend remembered. A Gator lost in battle becomes a pair of boots and a belt. "
Depth is an issue at OL, DE, and Safety.
Thrilled all our OL starters are back, but haven't we learned you better have viable backups? Lovelady is 275, he canNOT play at this level IMHO.....not at guard. Bobby Hart is the one tackle we have that can play on the second string. Simply not enough backups.
DE is another position where we have fine starters, but the depth chart is a HUGE concern.
Safety really needs to add a stud recruit to come in, but we are down to McQuay. Hope we land him.
I think the team is very solid everywhere else honestly, but these 3 spots could be an anchor on the season.
DEnd Mitchell should be back and he will add some depth at the DEnd position.
My way too early predictions:
Casher sees the field more than Newberry, esp as the season wears on and CC gains exp.
Be it Trickett or Coker (who I think wins the job) QB play improves, a ton. While EJ is a fine rep as a person for FSU he is borderline terrible as a 5th yr SR QB.
Benjamin fades. Alot of people piled on Nate for what he stated regarding KB but the proof is in the pudding. He has alot, I mean alot, of work to do to be even a decent option @ wr. He'll be passed up by the bevy of talent at the pos.
DE is a major concern. This yr we lost 3 studs, next yr we don't have 3 on the roster to count on to begin with. Super Mario has a ton of potential but beyond that: major?.
My pick for all around "why didn't this kid see the field sooner/where did that beast come from" award: Reggie Northrup. Stud waiting to happen.
Smith, Jones, and Karlos will make an elite LB trio. We need an elite LB coach.
The Future is Now.
Karlos to LB sounds nice, but the reality is we don't play with 3 LB's very often. If you want Karlos on the field then you should want him at Nickel, because if he plays that coverage LB spot, he will probably play just 30% of the snaps.
Also, our opponents next year are...
@ Boston College
@ Wake Forest
He is a DT
Is Idaho definitely on the schedule? Ive heard others mention it but havent seen anything to confirm it.
Anytime QB's are mentioned Sean Maguire Swenson he left out. Heard the kid had the strongest arm if the QB's. what's the word on him?
all I care about is Telvin having the complete opposite off-season than this past year's
big key for us defensively in 2013
This post was edited by NTally Kingpin2 19 months ago
After watching warmups I can confidently say Maguire does not have the strongest on arm on the team at all.
Obviously the recruiting class is kind of up in the air and has been a crazy one. But is there anyone else out there besides Levenberry who could be on the 2 deep when next fall rolls around?
You are correct. Man we are thin at DEnd!!!! If we catch an injury bug without bringing in several recruits for next year we will be forced to start a walk-on.
Good stuff Crozea.
I think it's reasonable to believe the offense can improve a lot with the entire OL & most skill players returning. We will need some consistency from the QB position whether it be Trickett, Coker, Winston, or McGuire. I think we have enough big play guys on the roster (Greene, C. Green, Bracy, Pender, R. Green, Whitfield, and hopefully Coley).
Whoever the new DC is will have a lot of talent to work with. I like the idea of Karlos to LB but I like him at WILL, it keeps him on the field more than SAM & puts him in a position to make a lot of plays. You've got to think Hicks moves back to DE. Add a JUCO and 2 high school prospects here & things aren't so bad at DE.
I believe Terrance Smith will be a RS Soph next season
This post was edited by Tiny850 19 months ago
Freddie Stevenson at LB enrolls early and is underrated in my opinion. He could be. Ira could potentially join the 2-deep at guard but who knows. Not much else there but still some great players like Ryan Green.
1. when did we add idaho? Last I saw that date was open.
2. We may play Gt in atlanta instead of Vt in tally. The ACC is still undecided.
1. I don't see anyway that Goldman is 3rd string behind McDaniel after he just missed a whole year.
2. I will be shocked if Dan Hicks is not on the depth chart at DE. We have more depth at TE and he missed the whole year with an injury. Plus he has great size and knows the position, I think at this point it would be foolish to keep him at TE.
3. IF Karlos isn't starting on defense then he should play both ways. Not because we need him, but because he is a special talent and we don't have anybody like him at WR right now. Not even close. I know under Jimbo this is very unlikely, but I think Karlos would love it and it would give us another dimension with his speed and physicality.
4. I can't wait to see the speed on offense next season. This year was nice until Thompson went down, then it was almost nonexistent. I don't know if anybody expected our offense to drop off as much as it did when he was out. Next season we will add Bracy to the mix, hopefully along with a healthy Mario Pender and freshmen Ryan Green and Levonte Whitfield. Plus Rashad Greene will be back and god willing will have a much larger presence in our offense. One thing though, Jimbo has to utilize all this speed.
I want Jacob Coker to be the new starter next year. I loved his fire and energy early in the year getting into to with the defender.
I was going to ask the same thing...
"England expects that every man will do his duty."
- Vice Admiral Horatio Nelson, Royal Navy
Not jimbo's fault Karlos won't play WR, jimbo has tried. Karlos is the one who doesn't want to switch over. Maybe he will be a really good linebacker, but people who would know better than I say that is ceiling at WR is way higher than any other receiver in the ACC.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports