In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online now 476 Record: 5859 (2/14/2012)
The place to talk about the Florida State Seminoles
The place to discuss general topics outside of Florida State
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
The No. 18 Florida State men's tennis team (14-5, 2-2) dropped its match to No. 38 NC State (11-6, 4-1) on Friday, March 29. The Seminoles won two singles matches but lost 5-2 at the Dail Outdoor Tennis Stadium. The team takes on No. 9 Duke tomorrow at 11:00 a.m.
"It was a battle with five three setters that could have gone any way," said head coach Dwayne Hultquist. "We had opportunities and couldn't close out on them. With five matches going to three sets, it was a circus out there. We lost the doubles in a tiebreaker and then we lost three matches where we won the first set and won two matches that we lost the first set. It was just a crazy day."
In doubles play, sophomore Dominic Cotrone and junior Blake Davis defeated Beck Bond and Austin Powell 8-2 on court three to take an early lead. The Wolfpack's No. 16 Dave Thomson and Sean Weber topped No. 45 senior Andres Bucaro and Benjamin Lock 8-6 on court one to tie it up. Seniors Jordan Kelly-Houston and Anderson Reed battled with Robbie Mudge and Thomas Weigel on court two but fell short with a 9-8 (4) loss.
In singles play, NC State won the first match to take the 2-0 lead but Reed bounced back from losing his first set with a 1-6, 7-5, 6-0 win on court four. Reed is now 14-4 this spring. The Wolfpack went on to win the next three matches to clinch the win. Freshman Michael Rinaldi closed out the match with his 13th match of the season by defeating Beck Bond 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (5) on court five.
For more information, check back to Seminoles.com. You can also follow the team at Twitter.com/FSU_MTennis.
No. 38 NC State 5 def. No. 18 Florida State 2
1. #16 Dave Thomson/Sean Weber (NCSU) def. #45 Andres Bucaro/Benjamin Lock (FS) 8-6
2. Robbie Mudge/Thomas Weigel (NCSU) def. J. Kelly-Houston/A. Reed (FS) 9-8 (7-4)
3. Dominic Cotrone/Blake Davis (FS) def. Beck Bond/Austin Powell (NCSU) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Austin Powell (NCSU) def. #122 Dominic Cotrone (FSU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
2. Robbie Mudge (NCSU) def. Benjamin Lock (FSU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. Dave Thomson (NCSU) def. Jordan Kelly-Houston (FSU) 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Anderson Reed (FSU) def. Thomas Weigel (NCSU) 1-6, 7-5, 6-0
5. Michael Rinaldi (FSU) def. Beck Bond (NCSU) 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Sean Weber (NCSU) def. C. Gonzalez Mendez (FSU) 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 6, 4, 1, 3*, 2, 5
Chris Nee of 247Sports.com. You can follow me on twitter @CNee247.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports