No. 3 Florida State hosts N.C. State on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. in a game that will be broadcast nationally on ABC. Here is a look at the N.C. State Wolfpack.
Doeren is in his first season of leading N.C. State.
Opponent: N.C. State 3-3 (0-3 ACC)
Head Coach: Dave Doeren 3–3 (0-3 ACC) (First season at N.C. State) 26-7 (Third season as a head coach)
Doeren’s Record vs. FSU: 0-0
N.C. State’s Record vs. FSU: Florida State leads the series 22-11
2 key stats
• N.C. State’s three wins have come against opponents with a combine 7-15 record. That record includes a victory over Richmond where the Wolfpack needed a field goal from junior kicker Niklas Sade with 33 seconds remaining to defeat the Spiders. Overall, N.C. State’s opponents are 20-23 on the season.
• Through six games, N.C. State has just four passing touchdowns and just 16 touchdowns overall. N.C. State’s leading rusher is averaging just 37.6 yards per game. The Wolfpack has had ﬁve different players lead the team in rushing in its six games this season. RB Shadrach Thornton, who carried the ball 20 times for 60 yards against Syracuse, became the ﬁrst player to lead in rushing twice. They are 50th or worse in the NCAA in nearly every major offensive category.
4 players to watch
• WR Bryan Underwood – Underwood is N.C. State’s leading receiver with 30 receptions for 357 yards and a touchdown. They also get the redshirt junior the ball in other ways, as shown by his nine rushes for 112 yards on the season.
• QB Brandon Mitchell - Mitchell suffered a broken bone in his left foot in the ﬁrst half of State’s season- opener and is just now returning as junior QB Pete Thomas has led the Wolfpack in the ﬁrst half of the season. Mitchell was 3-for-3 for 93 yards before suffering the injury. Thomas is 117-for-192 for 1,314 yards, three touchdowns, and eight interceptions as his replacement.
• DE Art Norman – The redshirt junior defensive end is a hybrid rusher at 6-foot, 250-pounds. The starting field end for the Wolfpack has 18 tackles, six tackles for loss, three sacks, and three quarterback pressures. He also forced a fumble and recovered another fumble. He is the team-leader in sacks.
Underwood caught the game-winner against Florida State last season.
• LB Robert Caldwell – The 6-foot-3, 250-pound senior inside linebacker leads the Wolfpack with 48 tackles on the season. He has 7.5 tackles for loss for 16 yards and two quarterback hurries as well. His tackle for loss total is tops on the Wolfpack.
7 notes on N.C. State
• N.C. State starting left tackle Rob Crisp is expected to be out for Saturday’s game. Crisp is arguably the Wolfpack’s top NFL prospect.
• N.C. State’s expected starting offensive line of LT Joe Thuney, LG Duran Christophe, C Quinton Schooley, RG Alex Barr, and RT Tyson Chandler have a combined 57 career starts.
• The Wolfpack has scored in 16 of 20 or 80% of their red zone visits. They have eight touchdowns and eight field goals.
• Opponents are 16-for-17 or 94% against N.C. State in the red zone. The Wolfpack has surrendered 14 touchdowns (82%) to opponents in 17 red zone battles.
• N.C. State is averaging just 1.83 sacks per game this season. They have recorded 11 through six games. Against three ACC opponents, they have just four sacks.
• Freshman cornerback Jack Tocho leads the Wolfpack with a pair of interceptions. He recorded them both in the Wolfpack’s game against Syracuse, where he earned his first career start. N.C. State has six total interceptions on the season.
• Through six games, N.C. State has allowed only eight returns in 33 kickoffs. They average 64.5 yards on kickoffs.